self-care isn’t selfish!
plan a bomb self-care day with your dope printable.
My Simple Self Care Routine To Increase Positivity And Productivity
Ah, the spa! Such a luxury! Facials, massages, candles, oh my!
It can’t just be my daydream to be relaxing at the spa, being doted on all day long, especially when you’ve had a rough week and are feeling a little worn + torn.
But who’s got the time or the money to be spending on weekly spa trips? Not me! That’s why I love practicing this super simple self-care routine when I need a little pick-me-up.
And, feeling like a queen (or king) doesn’t need to come at a luxury cost!
Yup, you can create a luxurious experience using DIY recipes during your self-care routine that will keep you feeling pampered and relaxed all week long.
This post may contains affiliate links. All reviews are our own, honest opinion. See disclaimer here.
I’m guessing you could use a day off, eh? I know that I do!
We all work super hard and we deserve – nay we need – to spend time nurturing our mental health.
Mental health is super important, so, to avoid burnout, give yourself a break every now and then to simply relax. (Sunday’s are a greaaaat time for your self-care routine!)
Treat yourself to a
- face mask,
- an at home mani/
- some time in the tub,
- and pour yourself a glass of wine.
We all may not be able to take long luxurious vacations whenever we want, but we can treat ourselves to an at-home spa day of our dreams to show ourselves some self-care and self-love.
You’ll see, treating yourself to a day at the spa doesn’t have to be expensive…and you can stay in your comfy pj’s all day 😉
So, are you ready to try out some new DIY recipes – self-care routine edition? Good, then get prepared to feel relaxed, less stressed, and oh so luxurious!
step one // INFUSED WATER
What better way to kick off your self-care routine than with some refreshing and SUPER good for you infused water!?
Not only are infused waters nutritional and delicious, but they also have great detoxifying properties.
Here are a few of my favorite infused water recipes for my self-care routine days:
- Strawberry Lime: My favorite! Slice some strawberries and lime and top with a sprig of mint! Try with sparkling water for an even fancier experience.
- For better digestion: Cucumber + Strawberry + Lime
- For clear, glowing skin: Cucumber + Lemon + Mint
- Citrus Twist: Lemon + Lime + Orange
Simply add to a glass of crushed ice and water and enjoy all day!
STEP 2 // homemade face masks
Fair warning, I have an obsession with face masks. So much so, that there’s an entire drawer in my bathroom dedicated just to face masks.
I know this may seem excessive, but when I have a
So, today, we’re going to make a few different masks to get our ultimate glow (and relaxation) on.
To get started, make sure your skin is squeaky clean by removing makeup with an oil cleanser (this one is THE BEST) and then follow up by washing your face with a facial cleanser (if you have acne, you NEED this).
Now, in order to get rid of all that built up dead skin – gross, I know – exfoliate your face with this DIY exfoliating mask:
DIY OATMEAL & HONEY MASK FOR EXFOLIATION:
What you’ll need:
- oatmeal (these oats work great!)
- manuka honey (this is my fav)
- carrier oil (jojoba oil is great, especially if you have acne)
How you make it:
- Blend two parts oatmeal (the magic bullet works great for this)
- Mix together two parts oatmeal, one part manuka honey, one part jojoba oil (or your favorite carrier oil)
- Use a flat makeup brush to spread evenly on face and leave on for 10-30…or 60 minutes 😉
- Using warm water, gently massage mask into skin, then rinse off and pat face dry!
Now, in order to make the most out of your next face mask– yes we’re doing more than one (it’s self-care day!) – steam your face.
If you’ve never steamed your face before, where the heck have you been living!? Under a rock, clearly!
To steam your face, start by boiling a pot of water. Once boiling, place the pot on a towel on your table. Then, drape a towel over your head and hold it near the pot of water to steam your face. After about 5-10 minutes, your pores should be nice and open and ready for your next face mask!
If that is just toooo much work, get this highly-rated facial steamer (uhm, can you say “luxurious!?”)
After steaming my face, I apply a skin detoxifying mask now that my pores are open.
Try this DIY clay mask to purge and shrink your pores:
DIY CLAY DETOX MASK:
What you’ll need:
- Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay (1000% the best one out there)
- Filtered water or Apple Cider Vinegar
- For moisture: Carrier oil
- For youth: Essential oils, such as lemon, lavender, and tea tree (get all three in this awesome pack)
How you’ll make it –
- Mix together two parts clay, one part water or ACV, 1/4 part carrier oil + few drops essential oils
- Use a flat makeup brush to spread evenly on face and let harden 10-20 minutes (this mask is intense, you might feel your face tingling – it’s normal and amazing)
- Remove mask with warm water and face cloth
Then, simply apply your favorite moisturizer…or your next face mask 😉
After the detoxifying face mask has pulled all the grime out of my skin, I like to apply a renewing mask to add moisture and essential vitamins back to my skin.
(I have the driest skin on planet earth…*eyeroll emoji*)
DIY AVOCADO + HONEY RENEWING FASK MASK
What you’ll need:
- A ripe avocado (it’s not as weird as it seems to smear avocado on your face ;))
- Manuka honey (again, my fav)
- For moisture: Carrier oil
- *Optional* – your favorite essential oil(s) for added benefits (I use lemon for its acne fighting properties)
How you make it:
- Mash avocado, then mix together two parts avocado, one part manuka honey, few drops carrier oil, few drops essential oil(s) (lemon)
- Use a flat makeup brush to apply evenly to skin
- Let sit for 10-30 minutes, then rinse off with warm water
Pat skin dry and
step three // DRY BRUSHING
This isn’t necessarily a DIY, but it is a super fun and healthy addition to your ultimate pamper routine.
Just pretend this is the point in your spa-day that you’d be getting a massage 😉
The benefits are great, too, especially before you soak in the tub with your DIY bath bomb.
STEP 4 // diy bath bombs
Aren’t bath bombs awesome? What better way to spice up your self-care routine while also fulfilling your kid-like self?
Plus, they’re made up of crazy good ingredients that’ll make your skin super smooth!
I mean, don’t get me wrong, I love a good Lush bath bomb. But, did you know how easy it is to make your own bath bomb? You can find some awesome DIY bath bomb recipes, here.
So, relax in the tub with your DIY bath bomb while one of your face masks does its thang!
(Don’t wanna DIY? Get a whole bunch of bath bombs, here.)
step five // DIY HAIR MASKS
Masks just aren’t for your face, they’re for your hair, too!
While you’re soaking in the tub with your face mask on, letting all your stresses fly away, soak your hair in a luxurious combination of oils and nutrients! Then, rinse it out and feel the silky goodness that is now your hair.
I like using a hair mask at least once a week to keep my hair strong and healthy!
Castor oil has
- detoxifies scalp + gets rid of dandruff
- helps promote circulation + growth
- prevents breakage + hair loss
Simply apply a generous amount of castor oil from roots to ends, tie up in a top knot, and let it do it’s magic while you enjoy your relaxing bath!
I hope you remembered to pour yourself a glass of wine before you hopped in 😉
STEP 6 // bath necessities
What would a relaxing bath be without some luxurious bath accessories?
Leave your skin feeling super smooth with this DIY sugar scrub!
*Sugar scrubs make super awesome gifts, too…combine with some of the other DIY spa day recipes and pass along the gift of relaxation!*
What you’ll need:
- Sugar (white or brown)
- Favorite carrier oil (I use coconut oil)
- Favorite essential oils (I use lavender for this recipe, but use whatever you enjoy!)
Hop in the tub and massage into your body to leave your skin feeling
Then, moisturize your skin post-bath with this DIY body butter!
step seven // MANI + PEDI
It wouldn’t be a self care day in my books without scheduling in a mani/
So, grab your favorite nail polish and treat yourself to an at-home manicure and pedicure!
There’s no DIY product to make for this part of our self-care routine but, in regards to your nails, you are ‘doing it yourself.’ 😉
Are you in the market for some new nail polish? Then you have to check out Kathleen Lights’ new line of nail polishes! She has the best colors and it lasts
If you’re feeling super fancy, take it a step further and use an at-home gel manicure kit to really prolong the lifespan of your nail polish!
STEP 8 // detox smoothie time
Ah, so relaxed. What a day. I wish I could do my self-care pamper routine every day of the week. *sigh*
Next, wind down from your day of relaxation with a detoxifying smoothie.
Detox smoothies have great benefits and it is always good to flush your body of unwanted toxins every now and again.
I wouldn’t be able to make a smoothie for the life of me if it weren’t for my Magic Bullet. It is so awesome being able to make delicious single serve smoothies in 5 minutes or less.
Find my go-to detox smoothie recipe, here!
Or, if it’s just one of those days, you’ll likely be indulging in a pint of Ben & Jerry’s ice cream instead while watching some How I Met Your Mother.
step nine // TEND TO YOUR MENTAL HEALTH
So, we just spent all day pampering ourselves and de-stressing our bodies with the ultimate self care routine!
Now, it’s time to tend to our mental health.
There are so many ways you can tend to your mental health, including:
- doing yoga (Adriene on YouTube is simply the best)
- meditating (try an app)
- writing in a planner/journal (this is my favorite planner)
- coloring in an adult coloring book (this coloring book by Kendall Rae is awesome!)
- reading (have you read this, yet?)
Try one of the methods listed to end your self-care routine and feel hella relaxed and refocused.
Here’s to praying our totally and insanely relaxed state lasts past noon on Monday 😉
What’s your go-to strategy to feel less stressed and more productive? Have any awesome DIY self-care routine recipes?? Comment below 🙂
share with friends