Our free daily planner printable will help you organize your days so you can be super productive. Click now to download your free daily planner printable!
7 Morning Routines For Happier + More Productive Days
Do you struggle to get out of bed every morning?
I mean, really? What’s better than cozying up in your blankets all day long ignoring life and your responsibilities?!
But, alas, we can’t always get what we want!
Having a morning routine has increased my energy and productivity immensely and has made for happier + more positive days!
Some of the links in this post are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission.
Mornings are rough for lots of us.
If I could have it my way, I’d work till 3 am and sleep till noon.
But, those little
These are the 7 things you should add to your morning routine:
1. Wake up at the same time each morning
3. Stretch + exercise
4. Eat a healthy breakfast
5. Your skincare routine
6. Change out of your pj’s
7. Review your plan for the day
This may seem like a lot, but it doesn’t take much time when you do it every morning and get into a good groove.
So, start this morning routine + set good intentions every morning to experience happier and more productive days!
1. Wake up at the same time every morning
Just like you should have a bedtime that you consistently stick to, you should also be waking up around the same time each morning.
I know, I know.
Having to kick the old habit of sleeping in is HARD. I still struggle with this every day.
BUT, I do feel better 100% of the time when I bite the bullet and get my damn ass out of bed when my alarm goes off.
I mean, it makes so much sense to wake up at the same time each morning, giving our bodies a sense of routine and predictability.
I know you can relate, that on the mornings where you can’t seem to drag yourself out of bed + get a late start, you feel rushed, tired, and have an overall unproductive day.
So, let’s motivate each other through our morning routine to consistently get up at the same time each morning so we can have happier and more productive days, every day.
And, don’t forget.
Waking up at the same time each morning is way easier when you have a successful night routine in place because you’ll be getting enough sleep and a solid night’s rest.
PRO TIP: Take baby steps towards your ideal wake-up time. For instance, each day wake up 5 minutes earlier until you have reached your perfect wake up time. You can motivate yourself by tracking your progress on a habit tracker like this.
2. Hydrate with lemon water or tea
We all know how important it is to drink enough water each day, right?
Then, what better way to start your day than with some lemon water!
Paired with a light snack (for our workout), warm lemon water is the perfect way to start your morning routine and the habit of regular water consumption all day long.
I’m the kind of person who doesn’t like to eat breakfast right when I wake up, so this is a good way to get something in my stomach before I tackle the rest of my morning routine.
I know most people like to start their mornings with a nice hot cup of coffee, but some say that their daily hot lemon water gives them just the right boost of energy first thing in the morning, without the caffeine.
Drinking warm lemon water is better than drinking coffee, too, because you won’t have a caffeine crash half way through the day.
3. Stretch, do yoga, or workout (or do all three, you BADASS!)
I like to end my day with a stretch, as you read last week in my night routine post, and I enjoy starting my mornings with a good stretch, too.
And, psssst, there’s even stretching routines you can do in your bed!
I’ve got you hooked now, eh?
Whether you do some stretches right when you wake up before leaving your bed or after your morning lemon water, stretching is a great way to get your body moving and feeling energized for the day!
Stretching is also an awesome (and necessary) start to your workout or yoga routine, so consider working your exercise for the day into your morning routine.
It is true that exercise gives you energy, so there really isn’t a better time to workout than in the morning.
And, don’t feel like you have to join a gym or own fancy equipment to be able to workout effectively!
I workout from the comfort of my living room, and it works just fine!
1. The Fitness Blender YouTube Channel – Hundreds of at home workouts for every experience level and interest such as pilates, weight training, and cardio. Simply pull up a video on your tv or laptop and follow along in the comfort of your home.
2. Yoga With Adrienne YouTube Channel – If yoga is your thing or you’ve been meaning to start up this healthy habit, Adrienne’s got you covered. Her 30 Days of Yoga video series are amazing and I highly recommend.
3. At home workout equipment – Equipment isn’t necessary to accomplish an at-home workout, however I do find the following items helpful, especially if you’re looking to up your game.
– Yoga mat
4. Eat a well-rounded breakfast
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, right?
But, how often do you put your breakfast on the back-burner and only grab a granola bar on your way out the door? Or worse, you don’t eat breakfast at all?
I’m guilty of the latter more times than I’d like to admit, but we can all benefit from routinely eating a healthy, well-rounded breakfast, so we should fit it into our schedules every single day – during our morning routine.
My go-to breakfast is usually yogurt with fruit and granola, oatmeal, or breakfast toast.
All are great choices that are super filling and delicious, and equally easy to make!
If you’re crunched for time in the morning, take the time to prepare your breakfast the night before.
Or, dedicate a day out of the week to food prepping, like I do on Sunday’s.
By food prepping, it only takes me an hour or two one day each week to have healthy and delicious meals all week long!
And, I can never use the excuse to skip breakfast because there is nothing to eat.
5. Your morning skin care routine
Washing your face (or showering), is essential after a long night of smooshing your face in a pillow.
And, washing your face is always a great way to wake yourself up, making it perfect for your morning routine.
I have super fussy skin, so I stick to a pretty ritualistic skin care routine!
Most days I don’t have the time or the patience to deal with applying makeup, but on the days that I do, it’s some tinted moisturizer to even my skin tone, concealer to hide my eye bags, and a little bronzer!
This makes me feel more awake since I look more awake, ha!
Not to mention the confidence boost my morning skincare and makeup routine gives me knowing I don’t look like a cast member from The Walking Dead.
6. Change out of your pajamas
I don’t know about you, but if I stay in my pajamas all day long, I’ll never get anything done!
Cause, hey, if I’m in my pajamas it’s not my fault that all I can think about is crawling into my cozy bed! Zzzzzz
Each morning, put together an outfit that gives you confidence because you’re more likely to have a great and productive day if you feel good about yourself!
So, do yourself a favor and change out of those sweats! (Leggings are acceptable and highly encouraged.)
If you can’t be bothered to put an outfit together each morning, plan ahead on Sunday’s and plan your outfits for the entire week! You can even DIY some cute labeled hangers and have fun with it!
Another thing that I’ve learned about getting dressed, is that it is a billion times easier to throw together an outfit when you don’t have a million articles of clothing.
I literally have two pairs of jeans, guys! Two!
A minimalist approach to your wardrobe will make getting dressed a million times easier and quicker!
7. Make a plan for the day
If you didn’t know, I love to plan.
Planning makes me 100% more productive with my time each day and so, of course, I have to show my planner some love during my morning routine.
I plan out my weeks on Sunday’s – of course – but each morning I still like to look over what my day looks like.
This way, I know what things I need to work on with the blog, what personal things need to get done, and also if I have any appointments or special reminders!
So, make it a habit of looking over your planner during breakfast or planning out your days with a daily planner printable each morning.
That way, when you’re done with breakfast, you’ll be ready to start your super productive and positive day!
Additional resources you’ll love:
1. Who Says What’s Free Resource Library – Our free resource library is filled with printables that will help you organize your time and accomplish your goals. Don’t miss the Morning Routine Checklists that go along with this post! Download them here.
2. The Fabulous App – This app has been instrumental in helping me create habits that last. For example, you tell the app that you want to start a morning routine. You’re then prompted to add healthy habits to your routine. Next, you’ll be encouraged to accomplish those habits through baby steps until you’ve mastered your goal. It’s awesome! Start your free 30-day trial today!
3. The Ultimate Productivity Bundle – This bundle by Ultimate Bundles is jam packed with resources that will help you create goals, manage your time, and organize your life; all things you need if you want to create lasting habits in your life. You’ll receive 46 resources for only $47 and I promise it is worth every penny. Explore all the resources that are included by clicking here.
4. The Shine Sheets Shop – This shop is your planning and printables dream world. From categories in mental health, goal planning, fitness, and more you’ll be able to download a collection of resources that will help you accomplish your goals. Click to explore the Shine Sheets shop!
So, there you have it! My morning routine. And now, your morning routine 😉
I try to stick to this most mornings, but hey, sometimes life gets in the way.
The way I see it, as long as you’re making efforts each day to work on improving yourself, a few hiccups along the way don’t really matter!
We can’t all be perfect…and anybody that tries to tell you that their morning routines are perfectly executed every single day are lying…or just don’t have kids, haha!
P.S. Was this post helpful? Consider buying us a coffee to show your love <3
MORE GOOD READS…
Need help organizing your life? These free planner printables for daily, weekly, and monthly personal planning are perfect! Meal planning, budgeting, fitness tracking, and more included, too!
Hey, sista! Are you ready for Valentine's Day? Or are you stressing about what to get bae for the most romantic holiday on the planet? I'm assuming it's the latter since you're reading a post titled 25 Valentine's Day Gifts For Him! It's cool. Don't stress. I've...
Sign Up For Our Newsletter
Join over 3,000 friends and receive our weekly newsletter filled with new posts, resources, printables, and more!